[ SHOWGSD-L ] Mentors and new fanciers

  • From: "Cynthia Gialluca" <cgialluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:25:46 -0600

I have read the comments about mentors and newbies, and how many mentors get
irritated and think that the newbie doesnt listen, so they are wasting their
time.  Either I have been extreamly lucky in mentors or its not as bad as it is
portrayed.  I havent always listened to my mentors, as in the end I have to
answer to myself and my own desires, but I have listened.  I think part of the
problem is that new people are loathe for some reason to seek out a mentor, or
after breeding a few times and/or getting a champion or 2 the newbie begins to
think that they know what they are doing and are less willing to listen.
Frustrating for the mentor I am sure, but in the end, the newbie does to
themselves what they will do.  it doesnt mean that the next newbie will do the
same.
I will be the first to say I dont know bloodlines.  I dont know what line goes
well with what line, where the "clicks" are.  Because of this, I go to the
people who do know.  I know some that study lines and have asked them for their
advice on breeding.  I talk to the people who produced my dog, and ask them
outright what lines "work" with what I have, on both sides.  I consider what
each person says, the person who has made a point to study most of the lines as
well as the people resposible for producing my dog, the owner of the sire and
dam of my dog.

I will also be the first to say I dont know judges.  I dont know what each
judge likes and doesnt like, what each judge looks for.  For advice on where to
enter my dogs, I turn to my mentors.

When I consider a new dog, I take what I know, and hopefully some pictures, to
my mentors.  I tell them what I see in the dog, what I like, what I dislike,
and why.  I ask for thier thoughts, and evaluations.  In the end I make my own
decision, but I would like to think I am informed.

I also make a point to walk up and introduce myself to people who I know by
face, if not by reputation.  They dont know me from Adam, but I make the point
to at least introduce myself.  Had I not done exactly that I would never have
met Lew Bunch, Gary S (sorry Gary I cant spell your last name LOL) Ken and Pat
Downing, Peggy Douglas, Fred Migliore (just met him at the National), Mary
Tripp, Carolyn McKinna, Tim Trapp and his parents Lee and Barb, Scott Yergen,
George Bersler... the list goes on and on.  The point is, I made a point to
meet these people, and I continue to make a point to meet people in GSD's.
sometimes my reception the first time isnt exactly warm, but I try again and
again until they know who I am.  sometimes it has to do with timing, sometimes
not, but in the end I can honestly come up to these people and give them a hug
and call them friend.

Maybe it is time for some of us newbies to thank those who have helped us along
on our way.  So let me be the first.....

To Peggy Douglas, Ken and Pat Downing, Mary Tripp, Fred and Wendy Willson, Bob
and Carol Moore, John and Teddie Waldrop, JD and Sharon Baker, Shirley and Alan
Melvin, Al and Dolly Boody, Lew Bunch, Lee, Barb, and Tim Trapp, Carolyn
McKinna... I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  without you, Cyneca
Shepherds would not be.

Cindy Gialluca
Cyneca German Shepherds