[ SHOWGSD-L ] Maybe Not- I was wrong! Oops!!!

  • From: Sara Minsk <ninemaplefarm@xxxxxx>
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:48:04 -0500

After much thought, I have accepted the fact that I was wrong.  I don't think I
want to do AKC conformation.  But, that's ok!!

I wanted to thank all the super nice people that responded to me privately
since I joined this list. Sweet, kind people with heartfelt stories that I will
forever carry with me......

I have simply come to the decision that AKC Conformation showing is not for me
at this point and time!!!  However, I appreciate all the honest discussion that
breeders have had with me about the show ring.  The one thing everyone kept
saying is that I really had to be sure this is what I want as you either have
to be in or out.  It is a massive commitment to shoot for success in the
conformation ring. I had no idea just what it takes to be a Champion let alone
a Select Dog!  The other thing they said was that I should do what makes the
most sense for myself and my dog.  Since I love training my pup and want to
handle her myself and she is not really AKC Show ring quality,  I think the
performance ring might be the better choice for us!!

I thought I wanted to show conformation. But, I guess I was wrong!!

However, I am really at peace with the decision.  Conformation showing is not
for everyone!!

I feel quite happy right now and I leave the list with no bitterness or
animosity!  The breeders who reached out to me to explain the conformation end
of things were honest, kind, and realistic!!  I thank them all for taking the
time to explain the ropes to me and what was expected.  There are some really
nice people on this List!!!

After having private discussions with so many wonderful people,  I came to
another conclusion.... a new discovery:

We are all like spokes in a wheel. There are conformation spokes; herding
spokes; therapy dog spokes; performance dog spokes; schutzhund spokes;
military/police/SAR dog spokes; guide dog spokes; and companion/family dog
spokes and we all must work TOGETHER to keep the German Shepherd wheel turning.
 We may have different interests but we all LOVE THE BREED!!

I may not do conformation or schutzhund or whatever but I can respect the
people and animals that do and cheer them on because they are all German
Shepherds!

So, I leave you all now but not with sadness.... :-) :-)

Take care,

Sara