[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Louisiana Relief Update

  • From: Riatagsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: mtmsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:50:39 EDT

The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has appealed to all the Catholic
Schools and Churches to come together and provide assistance to the over 25,000

plus people that will and have already arrived at the Astro Dome in Houston
along with the thousands of people that are here in Houston already from
Louisiana.  St. Thomas High School, (were I work taking care of the servers
and
computers), is collecting food items, personal items and items  needed for
children. I know Ken and I today have dug deep into  our savings and have
bought a LOT
of canned food and we are no different from  anyone else trying to help.  On
Saturday we are combining what we have  collected from teachers, staff and
students with every other  church, catholic school and Religious Order in  the
Galveston/Housotn area.  With the demand for help so wide spread  and money so
limited this was the best way for us to help out and make sure that  the people
arriving in Houston have food, clothing, and personal items.  As  a matter of
fact starting tomorrow we have an influx of students coming in to  St. Thomas
from High Schools that have been flooded out and do not know when  they can
or will be able to reopen.  These students are coming without  school records
and clothing.  Of course tuition is being waived and school  books are being
order for them without charge.  St. Thomas is one of the  smaller private High
Schools with a student body of around 600.  We are  planning on taking in every
young man that the Houston Fire  Department will allow us to safely take.  We
are all doing the best we  can with what we have and I am afraid nothing we
are able to do will be  enough.  The devastation is that great.

Judy and Ken Bryan