[ SHOWGSD-L ] Liver shunt?? What do we know??

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 20:36:46 EST

Hi all,
Just wondered with the combined knowledge of this list what do we know about
a liver shunt??  My cousin is a chihuahua breeder and she got a call today
about a pup she sold who is now 9 months old.  Seems the owners took him in to
be
neutered and the vet did blood work and said he thinks the pup has a liver
shunt--something about bile level or something--cant remember exactly what she
said but she isnt sure what to do and if this is genetic,  family loves the dog
but cant afford the $$$thousands in vet bills this will incur IF it is a
liver shunt.
People told her the pup has been acting perfectly normal and happy.
She knows she is responsible for the pup if they cant keep him--I guess she
is wondering if she is responsible for the vet bill if they keep him and opt to
do surgery--per her contract regarding genetic problems.
any ideas?
Thanks,
Cheri
Cheradon