[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Limited Registration

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:03:57 -0400

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:14:41 -0700 (PDT), "D.G.Bonome"
<lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>Then people might as well go to a shelter,  look for a dog that=20
>resembles a GSD, take 2 pics and get an ILP #, if the AKC=20
>thinks it is a GSD. Why bother with a breeder?
WOW!!! Kinda freakin' HARSH, don't you think???  :(

There are LOTS of worthy purebred dogs out there who, for whatever
reason (not the fault of the dog), do not happen to be registered with
AKC. Like rescue and shelter dogs. Or like my new English setter. His
papers were never sent in by his first owner. He just turned 4 years
old in June, so even if this woman still has the papers, it's doubtful
he could be registered without very heavy fines and a lot of stepping
and fetching that just isn't worth the time! He's neutered, so an ILP
number will be just fine for him and me both. We can do anything we
want *except* conformation, which we couldn't do anyway because Rusty
is neutered.

Oh... And by the way... I really rather resent the snarky comment
about "Why bother with a breeder." It is BECAUSE of a ***GREAT**
breeder -- my good friend and the owner of my dog's sire -- that I
have him at all. Or that he is even alive!!! She is the one who paid
out of her own pocket to ship him from his doofus owner in Florida to
her kennel in Massachusetts when she heard that the first owner was
going to dump the dog at the local kill shelter! And she (my friend)
is the one who kept him and groomed him and loved him for the last 3
years until she could find just the right home. I just thank God that
she thought enough of me and my hubby to let us be that home. What's
your beef, anyway? You want to deny good dogs and owners the ability
to compete for AKC titles just because the dog was abandoned in a
shelter or had a stoopid owner(s)?

Not very SPORTING of you, I'd say...  :/  Flame suit on... Have at it!

Karen M. Carloni
kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Sporting dogs give you the bird!!!"