[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Leg stacking history

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:24:02 EST

In a message dated 12/15/2005 10:28:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
RihadinK9@xxxxxxx writes:
In a  message dated 12/15/2005 10:57:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Stormy435@xxxxxxx writes:
I wish  that the "fad" of stacking the  dogs with the near rear hock laying
on
the  ground. (the foot away  from the judge) When did that start  anyway?

I started personally exhibiting mine and other people's dogs(yes I was a
professional handler <G>) in the early 50's,and with GSD you always baited
from
the front and walked them into their pose,because they naturally posed with
one hind leg behind another--very much like Jimmy does his GSD at Westminster.
That was the norm at that time. Also at that time,if you were handling a
clients  dog,you sent the owner as far away as you could--up in the
bleachers-out
of the  building,behind a tree. You wanted no interference from the owners.
The dog's  attention was riveted.on you. Double handling hadn't made it's way
over here  from Germany yet. I believe the stretching of that hind leg back,and
getting  down on the ground to hand stack, the dog ,started coming into the
shows,around the middle or late 70's. However,with exhibiting  German
Imports,both mine and clients, you often let them stand free. At that time,it
was
popular to have German Judges come over to judge our Specialties,especially  on
the East coast,and those judges preferred that. Of course ,as time went  on the
Germans changed their style of handling also . I handled my own  dogs
through the 80's. There were not many of us women handlers,in the  50's through
 the
70's Ginny Collins-Helen Polinitza, Virgnia McCoy,  me and Ann Mesdag I'm
sure there are others out there, and I apologize if I  haven't mentioned you.
Of
course, Gloria and Cappy came along . It's  interesting that the women didn't
wear shorts in the rings,which  is common now. . 90 % of the show pictures
show the leg stretched back all  through the 80's.   Helen Miller Fisher