[ SHOWGSD-L ] Justifying the Judging

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:45:17 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2005 10:47:17 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:
You will  notice that the breeders and exhibitors who frequent and  win in
the
all breed ring will go to the ends of the earth to prove the all   breed
judge
who put them up or finished their dog has a better eye than  Capt.  Max even
though he or she spent their life breeding and  showing Pom.s

The last ARBA show I did, (I know, I keep on bringing that up,  but the last
all breed show I judged I followed Helen Fisher the day before),  there was a
breed with an entry of one.

I thought it would be easy, since the entry was I believe from  one of the
European countries, (the breed) and when I looked at the dog, I  realized it
seemed to be a perfect match to the standard. Just because I was  curious and I
had never seen the breed before, I went to the table and read over  the
standard again while looking over the entry. Yes, it matched exactly, and of
course
won BOB.

After the class I went up to the owner and told her how much I  liked the
dog, and how good it appeared to me. She thanked me, and then told me  she had
just come back  from Europe and the dog I judged was the number one  dog in
it's
country that year.  She had convinced the owner to allow it to  be shown in
the United States for one year.

One time when I judged the French Mastiff, they had brought  over to judge
the day before me, the top French Mastiff breeder from France.  They had an
entry of 86.  I studied the standard for a month before the  show, and avoided
watching what the other judge did. When I finally picked my  BOB dog, a little
woman ran up to me and said with a deep French accent, "You  did exactly what I
did yesterday, you really understand the breed."

Some times you luck into it.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together