[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judging mistake

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:45:09 EDT

In a message dated 8/7/2005 4:08:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx writes:
in  Canton Ohio steel city cluster in the course of that
judging in one of my  classes an entry did not pass the temperament test it
was a
good size  class that had a brief interruption after which i continued
judging
at the  conclusion of that class I had placed the entry that failed the
temperament test [ I just forgot ] the placing was not first place so it  did
not
alter the outcome of the show.

I would  like to have the opinion of the other judges or anyone as to
how other  than the way I did would you have handled this.
The way Fred did this is just fine, however, I do not feel an explanation  is
necessary. You say what you believe from the center of the ring. If asked
after the show, I would be glad to say why I did what I did, in private. My
judging speaks for itself.  Good or bad.

Recently in a show I judged a bitch acted up on the individual.  I did  not
see fear, but certainly she did not stand as we expect. However, the overall
quality in the class was such, that coupled with her actions and my decision
that it was not a temperament problem, I gave her the class.  I did not  feel a
need to explain it, but I know how it looked from outside the ring.

We have to make our decisions in the ring, and most of us are just human,
(shut up Paul) and can make mistakes.  That is part of the process.

Fred did the honest thing, but I would not have done so.  But, he is  not
wrong to do it, if he believes it is necessary.  We should be willing  to say
why
we did what we did in the ring, but I would prefer to do so after the
judging in private, or with a critique.

Fred still has not explained the German dog he put behind me in the class  at
the national. Why he placed that dog might call for a explanation.  So  far
he hasn't said anything to me.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together