[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Interesting conversation with my vet

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 14:32:04 -0400

Ginger,

You may have something there.  Had a long talk about this with my Dad last
night.  My Dad retired as an Executive Vice President of General Mills
(Wheaties, Cheerios)  He feels that Americans may be more to blame than China.
Here is his take, for what it's worth.  Companies looking for raw materials
will typically go with the lowest bidder, especially if the quality appears the
same as the more expensive bid.  It is quite easy for a grower to use a cheap
additive to give the Americans what they want at a cheaper price.  Pet foods
are not as regulated as human food.  So, these additives will be missed on
initial testing.  He feels it is our greed to make the almighty $$ profit that
may be at fault and not ill intent to poison our animals by the Chinese.

Think back to Red dye #3.  This was added to products to make them more
appealing to the public.  There was NO intent to harm anyone and it was years
before anyone found out it was toxic.  Think about lead and asbestos.  No
conspiracy, just lack of knowledge.

If anything, this crisis may step up regulations.  We look at our pets as
family members.  Shouldn't they be as protected as we are from contaminants?
It may end up costing us a bit more in food bills but a lot less in vet bills.
Just some thoughts.

Laura Thomas