[ SHOWGSD-L ] IMO...Iadmit a mistake & ACT

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>, <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <inquestgsd@xxxxxxx>, <pagairs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:20:12 -0800

We've wasted a year or so trying to encourage a DQ fault to be brought
into the Club.. as..not a DQ, and a couple of years adding classes and
more classes for one of the actual Standard faults, and a couple of years
of time and expense incorporating a whole other Futurity Venue just for
those that do not want to be in a class with a Professional handler ....
unless of course they WIN that Class...THEN they can HIRE a Pro. Handler!
<G>
Why be concerned about a dog that is trained to do bite work on command
AND CALLED OFF on COMMAND?   Consider the intense training and testing
these dogs and trainers go through?
Most of us at a dog show have seen the fear in the eyes of a GSD that we
KNOW would attempt to bite the judge if the handler didn't have 'cast iron'
hands.  Consider...these hard working people that spend HOURS and MILES
working to train their dogs should be ENCOURAGED to join the GSDCA, Inc.
Possibly these same people can help research and possibly work to help
develop a program that we can develop into one of the venues at our
National.
Once many thought herding couldn't be done.   Now it has a life of its own
and has many MANY hard working people that herd with their dogs, train their

dogs to herd..earn many Awards herding their dogs...AND... they work their
tail off to put on a Herding Trial that is a big part of our National and
our National Awards system.   Often out in the rain and elements...no
complaining...just a lot of hard work that involves lots of space, pens,
sheep, hauling sheep, and other non competing trained dogs to help...
The same has been going on for many many years with hard working Obedience
people that work very hard to put on these Venue's at the National.
The Conformation people spend their time in that venue....a chosen few in
all three.
Seems to me we have room under the 'UMBRELLA' of this Club to welcome and
bring IN the working dog people to try to "Bridge the Gap" between them and
the show people.
It's time we worked together....or at least try to SEE if it can be done.
I know the Board is busy and has their hands full...but all this needs to be

considered at THIS TIME...with the problems we are having with the WDA Org.

There IS NO EXPENSE to having these people join our Club!
Their venue likely won't cost more than hauling in sheep..renting ranch
facilities, etc.... or the building requirements for Obedience.
I assume they would support their own venue...and could be a few days before

our National much like Herding.
After all the effort to bring back the white breeders and the extra classes
with long coats and set up a venue for exhibitors who don't want to be in a
class with handlers...??   Why 'no'  to a highly trained working dog??

They could start small....maybe like hosting something like a "Testing
Match"
the first year..small test for a small fee....so they could see if they got
enough reaction and support from people with their dogs wanting them tested
to see if they could even DO the work.  Maybe host a 'training Seminar'.
Might be SURPRISED how many "show people"  would test the waters...<G>
It will take time...but first we have to decide to make the effort and begin
some
dialogue with the WDA people....IF INDEED they really are discouraged and
READY.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

---Original Message-----On Behalf Of Anne Utter
Guess I don't understand why it should be a separate part of the GSDCA.  If
herding, tracking, etc.
are a part of the venues the same as conformation and performance, why
shouldn't schutzhund be?
If it is thought it should be modified in some way, then write up the rules
for it but if AKC is now sanctioning it, go with that as you would herding
or any other event.   Not every GSDCA show should have to have this event
any more than it has herding at every show.   But just saying it should be
included as herding is.  Also tracking.
I think it is time to show that the GSD is THE all-around best dog with a
brain/temperament that allows it to be what it is supposed to be and not
just a beauty.  Conformation is great and I love these shows, but it doesn't
show the public the completeness of this great dog.
Anne, GA    Sent from Anne's iPad

On Behalf Of myjoygs@xxxxxxx  Subject: Re: It it time to admit a mistake

I think that is a very good idea Zoa.  Our first priority is to get our
finances in order.
Like I said before I am all for supporting bite work.  After all our dogs
are working dogs and
can do a variety of venues.  I think the membership should be polled, with
all the particulars
of incorporating this venue and then be put to a vote.  I feel badly for the
members of the
WDA who were blindsided, if we add this venue to our club maybe they would
like to join the GSDCA.
First and fore most is damage control on our financial situation and the
lawsuit.
MYJOY SHEPHERDS  Joyce Willis

From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: It it time to
admit a mistake

I agree with Evan about letting WDA go its own way.(1) While I am sure they
have some very nice members, they don't seem to have any control over their
leadership. (2) It seems to me that we remain in a precarious financial
state.  If we add a new type of competition to our venues (are we talking
bite-work at the National and Specialty shows?� What, exactly, are we
talking
about here?)I would hope it would be self-supporting. And I would hope it
would have the support of a majority of our membership and not just a vocal
few.
I would rather see us let this group go, get ourselves straightened out
financially, and then poll the membership to see if the majority of us want
to incorporate this type of competition into our mission statement.
Dr. Zoa Rockenstein     www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com

http://showgsd.org/mail.html