[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I only know the question

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 23:55:52 -0500

Since just coming back in the breed this year, I've only been to a few
shows again.  Of those few shows, two of them were "biggies" and of
significance.....one being the Northeast Futurity and the "granddaddy of
them all", the National.  I agree we have some beautiful representatives
of the breed.....lovely breed type - infact, in some cases, gorgeous
breed type.    If you have frozen sperm on a dog that can improve on the
dogs that I've seen at these shows that show SERIOUS fautlts of gait and
I emphazie that word SERIOUS on purpose, then I say take him out of
retirement and use him.  Fronts leave a lot to be desired.  I've never
seen so much lifting at the elbow or reaching from an improper lay back
of shoulder.    The rears are some of the worse I've seen in a long
time.  I never seen so many dogs lifting in the rear as I did at the
National.  Want proof of it, buy the dvd's and slow the dog down to the
slowest speed you can and you will see it time and time again.  That
IMO, was one of the most serious faults of gaits that I saw was the
kicking up in the rear.  And as for side gait......well you might as
well forget about that, if they're reaching from the elbow and lifting
in the rear, what kind of side gait is that?   Saw so many bad, flat
croups - that's ugly.  But pretty, oh yes we have pretty alright while
they're standing there or  being stacked.  Watch them move and see how
pretty they look then.  Breeders have sacrificed movement for breed type
when it states in the standard faults in gait is to be considered a
SERIOUS fault.  I don't remember the standard saying anything about
faults in type being a serious fault.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't
have the standard sitting in front of me as I write this.  Just going by
memory......and that can be a little tricky at 11:30 at night.

So if there is a dog who is deceseased and was known to correct these
above areas, please ask him to do his "thing" again because the breed
IMO is in SERIOUS trouble when a judge can stand in the center of the
ring and is re-writing the standard when he puts a dog up just for
type.  If I hear one more time from a judge or a breeder that type is
what wins and that shoulders and movement are not what they're looking
for today, I just might put my finger down my throat and gag.  If that's
what the majority of breeders want, then let the PC re-write the
standard, so we won't have dogs who were bred to move according to our
current standard, we'll just have dogs who can win beauty pageants
instead!  Not asking you to agree, but darn if there are some "oldies
but goodies" who can still contiribute to the breed, let's rock and
roll!  Why not combine the movement of yesterday with the beauty of
today?  Nothing wrong with that.  Sort of like getting the best of both
worlds, (and no.....no pun was intended)!   The only thing that was
intended is..............MHO,  Barbara Galasso