[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Help with Baytril

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxx, weickelt@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 16:32:36 EST

In a message dated 12/26/2005 4:25:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
From:  "Gary Weickelt" <weickelt@xxxxxxxx>

> As some of you can  remember, there was a discussion a while back
> about giving a  bitch Baytril before you have her bred. Can someone
> with a good  memory refresh my aging memory? Do you give it for 5 days
> or  10? When do you stop? The day of the first breeding, the day
>  before the first breeding? Why do you give it? This can be private or
> on the list, I don't care.> Gary in Wis.> I'm still a Packer  fan

*********************************
Assuming you are giving it to her for a  reason.....any treatment with
Baytril is
never less than 10 days that I  know of......but you should check with your
Vet?

Carolyn   marhaven@xxxxxxx
_www.marhaven.com_ (http://www.marhaven.com)

Baytril is definitely for 10 days, but IF there's something  that  comes back
nasty in the culture, I'd (personally) get to the bottom of whatever  it is
and skip that season.  I know a LOT of folks who give it when a bitch  has
missed a time or two, no rhyme or reason and I'm dead set against  that.  (It's
powerful antibiotic...what if your gal builds/develops a  tolerance and you
really need it later???)

As the owner of stud dogs, I don't want to see a bitch given antibiotics
like chicklets.  For a LOT of reasons....if there's something going on w/  the
bitch, I don't want to meet her until it's cleared up and if folks are  having
trouble getting her in whelp and grasping at straws, I for sure don't  want to
meet her (again) six months from now.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_