[ SHOWGSD-L ] Geography 101!!

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'scenecrest geo'" <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>, "'showgsd'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:09:01 -0700

Hi Theresa
Your logic really shouldn't have anything to do with "our" National.
The Parent Club isn't doing enough for Public Relations and Education to the
public in general.
BUT...
THAT has nothing to do with our National and the general thought and purpose
behind it.
To make the excuse that our National is for the purpose of PR and education
for the
general public ....when it is not being done in other means by our Parent
Club is pretty hard
to swallow.
What about the "thousands of children" in Colorado, or Kentucky or Utah or
California or
Texas or Seattle....?
Most good breeders are striving to produce the best quality GSD
possible...and the National
is partly to show the results of their efforts and compete with other
like-minded breeders and
exhibitors and Judges. We want to see the 'cream of the crop' from all
over.
i.e.
Geography 101 St. LOUIS IS CENTRALLY LOCATED?? Seriously?

To quote GSDCA as described in the Membership Handbook:
"The National is the umbrella that provides a showcase to highlight the
Breed and applaud the many
talents, abilities and excellence of the German Shepherd Dog and it's
Breeders, owners and handlers."
MORE: "The "National" traditionally moves about the Country from year to
year in order to better
serve It's National membership and the Breed."
MORE: "As the National zig zags about the country, the membership is able to
observe and explore
the strength / weaknesses of our great breed"
!!!!!????
To quote you: ( partially ) "......If you move the Nationals around each
year you end having......
....only the owners in that area will attend." ( SAY WHAT? ) Many or most
of us have flown
OR driven two and three days to attend Nationals all over this Country and
to Canada.

IMO The "future" of the Breed is in the hands of all of us breeding NOW.
THAT is what the future
generation will be handed to work with.....IF they come to work.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Theresa-GSD Stolz (Redacted sender "scenecrest" for DMARC)
Re: Committees.. The best way to go?

Not meaning to take away anything Carolyn wrote: Just included part for the
topic on the Nationals at the Purina Farm.

GSDCA members should consider that there might be a good reason to keep the
Nationals at the Purina Farm. Number 1 reason thousands of school children
visit it each year and parents take their children there on vacations
and weekends. So what better way to promote the GSDCA of America but by
having
the dogs represented there? Young children are the future and if they are
surrounded by watching GSDs perform maybe someday they might want and show
them. How many outside people are going to go to various places the
Nationals are held just to watch the GSD Show?
St Louis has lots to offer if you give it a chance. If you move the
Nationals around each year you end having the dogs in the west, east, south
or north GSD's showing each year as only the owners in that area will
attend. Having it
centrally located is a plus not a disadvantage.

I realize it is hard for the members that are getting older but the future
in the GSD is in the younger generation as we all know.
Plan your yearly vacation around the GSD Nationals at the Purina Farm and
have others you know transport your GSDs there
if you are unable to. After all do not most breeders and owners have
handlers they pay to do this? I know the handlers travel all
over the USA to show GSDs so this breed. If the GSD is a handlers friendly
breed let them show and travel with your dogs. It makes it
sense as it is easier on all of them if it is centrally located.

Theresa
scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 7/22/15, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
having three moreyears of a National in St. Louis...and when all is said and
done Carolyn