[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs will no longer be used by Guide Dogs for the Blind

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:04:05 -0800 (PST)

Guide Dog for hte Blind has believed GSDs were too hard for them to work with
for a very long time. Back in the 80's they decided to try their computer based
breeding program. At that time their trainers told me that GSDs took too much
time to mature and that most of their clients could not handle them. I got into
the discussion because I had just run into a blind handler who was having his
dog do "puppy push-ups" as a result of ignoring some command. He sat on a bench
and told his bitch to down, sit, down, sit -- I stood there watching as the
bitch would lower her head and elevate her head, smiling and never even
thinking of gong down. I talked to him for a while and discovered that no
matter where he told her to go in the town of Sonoma, it always led past a
bakery and cheese shop. (He was not a resident). He thought there were bakeries
on every corner. Actually the dog always took him past these two shops a they
were very dog friendly. The trainer at GDB told me that
 happened all too often as the GSDs were more than willing to decide how things
should be done and most of the clients were not "dog people" or even "animal
people" in the sense that most people used to be. He felt their line yellow
Labs and Goldens were so much easier on all concerned - the kids raising them,
the trainers, the clients. Their yellow labs were about the most placid dogs
you would ever want to meet.

  I also discussed what another guide dog traiing facility looked for in a dog
and they wanted something basically robot-like. No reactions to anything other
than the job at hand. No prey drive that might distract them, no high energy as
they were no longer required to walk long distances, but spent more time waitng
patiently. Society has changed and so the requirements for the dogs have
changed.

  I love a high drive dog, but always pray for some nice placid couch potato in
the litter so the people who have waited for a pet for a long time can have a
pup. Most of the behavior issues I deal with (regardless of breed) are caused
by dogs who are capable of working for a living placed in homes where they want
a dog who enjoys sleeping in front of the electric fireplace and will be happy
with a short walk around the block. Society's needs and what we believe a good
dog is may not always go hand in hand. Oh yes, that fireplace dog just needs to
bark to sound an alarm. God forbid he actually be aggressive towards an
intruder -
  Ruth

Connie <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The only place I find mention of this is here . There are some interesting
comments to it below.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/155362.html

Connie Palmer Williams
German Shepherd Rescue of Central Colorado
..."I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep"...Robert Frost
www.GSDRColorado.com
Board member
www.LastHopeSafeHaven.com