[ SHOWGSD-L ] From MPBA<>MO Pet Breeders Association..leg.session wrap-up

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 11:35:29 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Anne Edwards
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:35 PM
Subject: Thank you for a great legislative session!! (1)

Dear MPBA Members,

Just a note to let you know the legislative session ended yesterday at
6:00 p.m. Although we were not successful in passing HJR 86, we came
very, very close, especially for our first year of working together
with the newly formed ag coalition. We made giant strides in awareness
of who the HSUS and other animal rights organizations are along with
their true agenda. Never in the twenty years I have lobbied have I
seen such a heightened sense of truly understanding the crossing into
our state borders of outside groups buying the laws and regulations by
which we must abide. The mere mention of HSUS and other animal rights
groups sent shock waves through the capitol each time, and those
groups were met with disdain and intense dislike. Missouri is truly
the "Show-Me-State" and does not like being told what to do!

Even though we did not succeed in passing HJR 86, we DID successfully
pass a law requiring humane societies and shelters to pay licensing
fees for inspections. They were exempt under state law for inspections
by the Missouri Ag Department, with many of them not complying with
state law. Inspectors were required to return again and again to many
of the facilities with none of them having to pay fees for those
inspections. Instead, fees collected by licensed dog breeders went to
fund the inspections for humane societies. NO MORE!!!! Now they have
to pay their own way rather than riding in on the backs of the
commercial breeders!!

We also succeeded in passing a law to prevent any non-profit groups
(such as HSUS, Humane Society of MO., ASPCA, etc.) from being allowed
to conduct inspections of dog and cat facilities. Under current law,
the Director of Agriculture has the authority to hire outside
interests to conduct inspections if he so chooses. Now he cannot!!!

A special thank you to Barb York, President of Missouri Pet Breeders,
who spent many days and hours at the capitol educating legislators of
the importance of the dog industry in the state and nation. She was
highly professional and presented a face of the industry so that
legislators could see that dog breeders are professional people who
love their dogs and have a great deal of knowledge in caring for them.
The current ballot measure and negative publicity being slung about by
radical animal rights groups is threatening a very important industry
that contributes greatly to society, and Barb was able to convey that
message very professionally. She worked side by side with me and often
struck out on her own with various missions to get her message across
at critical times. My hat is off to her for being there throughout the
highly charged and stressful process. The last three days of session,
Barb and I were away from the capitol a total of fourteen hours, which
included sleeping and catching a quick meal. The rest of the time we
were working the halls of the capitol!

A big thank you to Cathy Griesbauer, her family and the Professional
Pet Association for their tireless work and dedication to helping us
in the final days of legislation. Their efforts were well received and
helped us get over the finish line!

A full report will be forthcoming. For today, I must get to my gallery
where work orders are backed up since my absence. Lewis and my team
did a fabulous job of keeping things running there with Lewis doing
double time taking care of our rotten dogs too! LOL!

Thank you to each and every one of you who worked hard to help us when
we called upon you. Our work is not over, and we have many missions to
begin this coming week. Our lawsuit against the ballot initiative is
still in the discovery process where we are battling it out against
the Humane Society of Missouri. We have never backed down to them and
we have absolutely NO intentions of doing so now. Things are moving
along nicely for us and we will update you shortly on our progress.

Please allow me a day or so to wind down and to catch up on some
critical work at my gallery and I will get a full legislative report
out to you.

Again, thank you all for your immense hard work. It really did pay off
in countless ways! We ARE getting the upper hand. Catch your breath,
put your head up and your shoulders back and get ready. We are going
to show the animal rights people a fight like they have never seen
before!!!

I'll be in touch soon,

Karen Strange, President & Lobbyist
Warrior Against Animal Rights!!!