[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Flying dogs and main hubs....again....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Jeff Pyle'" <windfallgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 17:00:48 -0700

Thanks Linda;

Until some actually TRY TO BOOK A FLIGHT with a # 500 crate you have no way of
knowing what will or will not work with any given airport or airline. When you
speak to
an airline agent....they can tell you one thing...but they are not the
personnel booking
your flight and checking the aircraft and flights to see if it will work and
fit in the aircraft
door.
I repeat..................sigh......I wish it were not so....but....Most of the
time it will not
work with a # 500 unless it is a main hub airport for a dog friendly airline.
INTERNATIONAL airports are not necessarily main hubs.
Sacramento is an International airport. The big Air Bus and 737's and
whatever else
sounds good for # 500 crates will not work if there is ANY connecting flight
most of the
time THEY MUST be directly coming into, or coming out of a direct
flight..and that
'generally' is to a main hub airport for that particular airline. On MOST
connecting
flights...one of the aircraft is small.
That is WHY they connect at a main hub for that airline. IT'S SO SIMPLE!
MOST....not all....But MOST....affects most of those traveling with dogs in #
500 crates!!
The National Chair or Committee needs to understand this!!

Also...the airlines are always changing and buying out and changing flights now.
Hard to keep up. What works this year...may not work next year.

Recently a Reno Club member could not get a bitch flown from Denver, Co. to Reno
Nevada! Denver is a secondary hub for Delta and United and Continental!!

We live between Sacramento and Reno. ..... both airports are easily available
for us.
We can fly a 4 mos. old puppy out of Sacramento in a # 400. THAT'S IT most of
the time!! and then... they occasionally question about the four month old in
a # 400.

Again.......Main hubs are:
Houston Texas for Continental
Atlanta Ga. for Delta
Dallas /Ft. Worth, Texas for American
Minn. / St. Paul for Northwest or Frontier...not sure anymore.
Seattle, Wa. for Alaskan/ Horizon...maybe Frontier or Northwest.

Chicago for just about any major airline.
LAX for just about any major airline.
San Francisco is good for a lot of flights.
Salt Lake City, Utah ...still a Subsidiary airport for Delta, Continental and
United.
Denver, Colo.....still a Subsidiary airport for Delta, Continental and
United...maybe more.

Southwest NEVER ever flew dogs.
USAir no longer does
American joined with America West and I don't think they take dogs anymore
Jet Blue...no dogs
Someone said Frontier no longer takes dogs.

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Linda Bankhead Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2015 1:14 PM To: Jeff Pyle
Cc: showgsd-l Subject: The Board Meeting / some questions

I just checked for flights from Atlanta to Reno. A good test because Atlanta
is the busiest
airport in North America; plus it is a major hub for Delta.

Delta, American, and United have zero direct flights.
Flights will have to stop in Dallas, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, or Chicago.

I then tried New York to Reno. JFK and Laguardia. Both huge airports and in
the
top 10 busiest. No direct flights.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 3:32 PM, Jeff Pyle <windfallgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This subject is being discussed on A Facebook thread. Chris Loomis called
Delta and United and was told that their air busses in and out of Reno CAN
accommodate 500, 600, & 700 crates... I am certain the Board will research
and find out for sure, but maybe some things have changed in regard to
possibilities....?

Jeff Pyle
Windfall

On Sunday, July 26, 2015, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Would love to have a National in Reno.....but it is not an accommodating
airport for
# 500 crates. None of us can get a dog in or out of Reno in a # 500....to or
from just
about anywhere??. They would have to fly into the Bay Area to make it work.
Hope they listened to Helen's request.

Wonder why handlers can no longer Judge Futurities after 2017? Most Clubs have
re-cycled most of the Judges by the time we all put on two shows a year with
all the
shows within a day driving distance. In the case of our Shows in
Sacramento.....we
use four judges for that weekend.
Did the handler judges not pull good entries this year and last? I never
really kept
track or paid attention.......?

Carolyn l.

--