[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fading Puppy- Urgent

  • From: Ann Mariano <brittaleahnasa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lrthrasher@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:03:42 -0800 (PST)

Hi.
I had a VERY VERY small pup in my last litter (1/2 lb at a
week old).  She was definately premature compared to her
littermates.  My mom thankfully is a "lactation consultant"
and came over to look at her to see why she was not sucking
since we thought we were going to lose her.  The  piece of
gum between her lip/mouth was "tight" which prevented her
from suckiling correctly (very common in infants). She
taught me how to teach her to suck.  This is what I did for
her.  I used an eyedropper, and force fed her formula ( I
also mixed in Nutro-Cal for extra calories). My mom said
NOT to give her a bottle since if I did it would delay her
ability to suck "properly" on her mother. I then had to
"teach" her how to suck, by inserting my finger in her
mouth upwards toward.  When she gave me any indication of
using her tongue or sucking, I would let a few drops of
formula in her mouth.  This was her reward. Once she
learned, she went with her mother, and I placed te formula
on her mom's nipple to see if she could do it. It took
about a week or so for her to learn how to suck properly.
ALSO, due to her size she got mom alone time, as well as my
supplementing her until she was ready for food.   But she
grew and developed normally, just behind at her first
(opened her eyes at 16 days, walked a few days later, 4 1/2
lbs @ 7 weeks) But today at 8 months, she is a beautiful
dog and has definately caught up with everyone.

Ann Marie
www.geocities.com/amarigermanshepherds/Puppies.html
Home of CH Fairway's Leah v Nadelwald TC OFA
and her daughter R/Best In Futurity CH Amari's Ava Gardner OFA
and in the wings Leah's new daughter Amari's Beware of Foxy Roxy
Breeder/Owner ofAmari's Bandit of Broadcreek (5pts. 2/BOB @ 6 months)

Just $16.99/mo. or less.
dsl.yahoo.com