[ SHOWGSD-L ] DM Testing

  • From: <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 11:51:48 -0800

We have tested 13 dogs. The three who came back as "at risk" all have
symptoms ranging from mild to severe. They are 7 year old littermates. Their
sire most likely had DM, as well. All the other dogs tested as either clear
or carriers and have no symptoms, though many of them are younger than the
age of normal onset for DM. The tests were done at the Vet DNA center in
Ohio. We did submit samples from one dog to both OFA and the Vet DNA center
and received the same result. I have been very discouraged by the number of
stud dog owners who will not test, or perhaps who have tested, but will not
admit they have... I realize there is some question as to the validity of
this test for GSD's, but my experience mandates that I will not breed a
carrier to a dog unless he/she has tested clear.I would love absolute proof
that the current test is either reliable, or not. Until that happens, I will
continue to test.   Carrie
Oak Ridge German Shepherds Dedicated to the German Shepherd Dog Signers
GSDCABreeders Code of Ethics www.oakridgegsd.blogspot.com