[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Testing

  • From: "Paris-Smith_k9s" <paris-smith_k9s@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 12:34:19 -0700

"Dm tested everything in my kennel during the first round of all this some
years ago. Some that were proclaimed clear - ended up with DM and died
before their time. Some that tested positive lived to ripe old ages and were
sound until the very end I have no faith in it at this point at all. I
recently lost a Champion at 14 1/2 - no DM. have a 12 and 1/2 year old Ch
now - moves like a dream still. That's what I trust. Have frozen semen on
them both :-). Looking at bloodlines and what you have seen in your dogs
generation through generation will often tell the tale as to what to expect.
Most all of us know the heartbreak of DM but some of us have also
experienced the failure of the testing to be accurate. You could find that
your DM clear to DM clear breeding may not be as clear as you think in the
final analysis.
Doesn't mean you must test or that you shouldn't test. Just means it's not
necessarily an exact science. A little honesty in breeding would go a long
way towards eliminating lots of problems.
Testing is a tool to assist but, taken to the extreme, can in itself be
damaging when you rely totally upon it. I learned that personally from DM
testing experiences.
Lynda"

These are the kind of statistics I would prefer to see, because they are
real life situations. It would be nice to have a database with names of dogs
that actually had DM. I do not see the test as a waste of money if we use it
to prove its accuracy like what you have been through Lynda. Having a
database with DM results and Necropsy results would only further this
research and benefit our breed. You can conduct the test at DDC center if
you do not want to post them on OFA due to the inaccuracies just to have on
hand to compare them to a necropsy result. I hope that makes sense.
I know money is tight for all of us but if at all possible it would only
help the research of these tests. By DM testing and running the necropsy
tests we would have true honest black and white results. It is really sad if
dogs are being eliminated out of our breeding programs if these results are
not even accurate.

Tammy
www.noble-spirit-shepherds.com