[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Carriers

  • From: Robert Utter <rautter001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:27:46 -0400

Is this the case just with DM?   On human cystic fibrosis for a child to have
CF, both parents must carry a 'CF' gene.   Yet the children may not all have CF
or even carry one of the genes.  We have one child with CF, another who is a
carrier and as far as I know another is clear.  ( have to have genetic testing
).  There is a lot more to it than just a simple 'gene'.  Some particular genes
may cause the disease but another one may cause the disease to take a different
course, be much worse etc. This is very simplistic I know as there is a lot
more to it.  a lot I don't know about genetics but I wonder if all offspring
have to be carriers if one parents is clean and the other is not?
Anne, TN

Sent from my iPad