[ SHOWGSD-L ] Carmen, Jim, Semantics

  • From: "Sheree Moses" <shereemosesgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:32:09 -0400

Evan you know I love you but I think the lawyer in you is showing.  And to
think Jim always accused me of being the devil's advocate, and trying to see
every side... But I am beginning to think Cheryl may be right and you are
taking words apart, not looking at clear (I tried to be, anyway) intent.
Rather than having you and I debate semantics (which could be great fun, at
a better time, on a less painful subject), maybe we should concentrate on
the real points Jim was trying to make.  Some of what he wrote is his
opinion, some is documentable fact.  I won't rehash his post, read it for
what it says, no conspiracies, no ulterior motives, just what it says.  Of
course Jim is Carmen's friend and as such Carmen has his loyalty....but he
is also fairminded and if he thought Carmen was wrong, or ineffective as our
representative, he would say so...or he would say nothing at all publicly,
and make his feelings clear to Carmen privately.  Jim has a pretty good
grasp of how the dog world (the AKC, the people who run it, etc) works, and
he appreciates all the Carmen has accomplished, and how much effort and
skill it took.  That's it.
And of course Carmen has other aspects to his life....and has been very
successful there also.  But he IS a German Shepherd person and that is a
large part of his identity.  A person does not devote so much of his life to
something that is not important to him...I know how hurt I was by some of
the accusations and half-truths that have been on this list, I can only
begin to imagine how Carmen must feel.
Something else Jim said to me, that a few people on the list seemed to be
implying that Jim had posted at this time in order to try to help Carmen
retain his position as our delegate....Jim said those posters must be
unaware that several other well-known dog clubs have already volunteered to
have Carmen be their delegate, they would be thrilled to have him as their
representative.....Jim posted to try to have people realize that not all of
the statements on the list had been factual, and because he thought it would
be a great loss to our club to no longer have him as our advocate in the
larger dog world.  Again, no conspiracies, I thought his post was cogent and
clear.
As to the timing, he said why in his post...when they were only going after
him, he ignored it....when he felt they were unfairly going after his friend
as a man, he'd had enough.  He's been trying to get this done for 2 weeks,
and to get it posted for a few days...he's not very computer literate...I
think the AKC rep finally helped him get it to go through...And of course he
wanted to clarify things BEFORE the board meeting, what would be the point
after?