[ SHOWGSD-L ] CANCER STUDY (LAST CALL)

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:46:39 -0700 (PDT)

Well 450 sets of swabs have been packed out and 250 of those shipped. So I have
about 50 sets left over (thanks to the Van ANdel Institute) who is shipping
Canada themselves. So if you live in Canada E-Mail quickly before I send them
that list. If US E-mail me if you are interested. We also have the National
Golden Retreiver Club and National Newfoundland Club involved. So if you have
another breed that would like to participate let me know.

IF you have a dog in the CHIC DNA DATA BASE that has become sick or died PLEASE
let me know, since Van Andel has access to that DNA INFO.

IF you have a dog with one of the  5 listed Cancers, PLEASE let me know, so
that BLOOD and TISSUE kits can be sent to your Vet (REMEMBER all this is at no
cost - except postage.

Dr Roe Froman of the Van ANdel Research Institute is conducting this study. It
is All Breed so a Vet Surgeon could be very handy.

1)      Osteosarcoma

2)      Hemangiosarcoma

3)      Lymphoma

4)      Malignant histiocytosis

5)      Melanoma (oral or digital)

Our goal is 550 oral swabs of healthy GSDs, each breed is being tested and the
number of test for the base depends on the dog population of each breed. As we
are one of the  largest - 550 - is the largest SAMPLING. That said they are
looking for as many positive dogs as possible, and yes some of these may come
from our sampling and each year the owners will be sent a questionaire to
determine current health; The dogs with cancer will be tested via blood and
tissue samples and those samples will be compared to the base to determine
genetic effects on these diseases.10 positive dogs per disease creates testing
of the breed. Right now I know we have 5  Hemangiosarcoma cultures and several
others. They can also use the OFA/CHIC DNA Data if you have a dog that has
already died of one of these diseases, just need Vets verification and

the Dogs Reistered Name.

Note I said HEALTHY (free of Cancer) for the  BASE. I did not say that your GSD
might not have some other disease (HD, EPI, IBD, PF, TORSION, BLOAT, etc) As a
matter of fact one of the assistants is researching HD, and we have 3 samples;
2 samples of EPI.

Unlike most of these test where they ask for the  sick dogs 1st and then ask
for  "healthy" DOGS or DOGS to be tested for a specific disease - They are
looking for the HEALTHY CANCER FREE DOGS 1st.

Now THINK a minute, when we all heard about DM and EPI test - who were the 1st
to send samples - Those who had a sick dog or whose pedigree indicated their
dog might carry the gene for this disease, Thus ALL DATA submitted is esqued
toward a large population of sick animals

Also please note, that each person will send a copy of their Registration Form
to me. I inturn will send an annual e-mail to each of you asking the current
health of your dog, that information will then be submitted to Dr  Froman. I
advised her, that the owners were damned tired of submitting swabs and blood
for Research and never hearing anything. As a dog owner she agreed  and it
opens up all types of possiblities toward further research.

Their Web site is www.vai.org/helpingdogs. This project is funded by
NHI/National Cancer Institute. I have brochures if any of you are going to
Shows.

Thanks

Morgan Lewis

"So Much to Do, So Little Time