[ SHOWGSD-L ] Another fond memory

  • From: VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:08:27 EST

Talking about these dogs of the past,starting with Lance has been fun  for me
because,like for all of us, it bring other past dog  experiences  to mind. .
  The two editors( Krista & Erika) for the GSDC of Alaska  wrote me to get
history information for their newsletter,so I thought maybe you  all would
enjoy
what I shared with them,about Mrs Geraldine Dodge and the  original Morris &
Essex

In a message dated 11/30/2005 7:45:14 A.M. Central Standard Time,
erikasgsds@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Did you  ever attend the Morris and Essex show?

I sure did. I took my Ch. Cuno von der Teufelslache SchIII PH,ROM.  Madelaine
Pickup from England judged GSDs. She put on white gloves to check  testicles.
We won the Breed with him. The show was everything that you heard  about it.
The one that they started up again now is nice, but no way the  grandeur of
back then. It was held on the lawn of Mrs Geraldine  Dodge's estate. Her front
lawn was about 4 acres,beautifully groomed. No ropes  or stakes. The people in
their lawn chairs formed a ring,sort of like  Crufts,but much more space. Both
Judges, and Exhibitors were fed  royally.Very,very elegant,-on china and
crystal. Everyone wore hats. I remember  I felt stupid,because I didn't have a
flowery gorgeous hat(never owned one),but  I did have a little one that sat on
the back of my head,with a little veil. I  guess Mrs. Dodge,was copying English
sporting events. It was very beautiful with  many flowers,the green bent grass
turf,and white lawn chairs. Yes ,you had to be  invited.My first husband,Dr
Miller and I were invited,because of the Cuno  dog,and our friendship with
Ernie Loeb.  Ernie handled Cuno for us at that  show.  Another fond memory.
Helen