[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: And We Think It Cant Get Worse

  • From: "Deena Canals" <dc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:11:40 -0600

> My question has to be "if this was just scratches, how did it get to the
> point of newspaper reports and animal control involvement?? I think there
> is
> far more to this story and I reserve judgment..

There probably is more to the story, but even than it may come out that the
dogs were only playing.  And children and all animals should be watched, but
even if you watch them, things can happen:

A California man found a stray ferret.  Took it in to try to find its owner.
A couple of weeks later, a friend came over with her son.  Son asked if he
could pet the ferret.  Sat son and ferret in chair.  Son stroking ferret
while parents sat in room and talked.  Son suddenly pinches ferret which
turns around and bites the booger.  Mother takes him to the hospital.  AC
picks up ferret.  Mother tells them that her son has a history of animal
cruelty (been nice if she told her friend).  Ferret killed and man fined.

Ferret people can tell you from experience, the animal doesn't have to do a
thing and no one has to complain for something to end up at animal control.
The biggest fight over a single ferret happened when Kodo DID NOT bite an
elderly gentleman and the elderly gentleman STATED that Kodo did not bite
him, but animal control heard a comment out of text and seized him.  Kodo
lost and paid with his life.  With the victim stating that it did not
happen, with newspapers and Paul Harvey carrying the story, he still died.
And Paul Harvey got the story wrong.  I love Paul, when I first heard him
bring up the story, I thought great, really good publicity for our side.  I
didn't know my jaw could drop so far when I heard him make basically the
same remarks that you did, that there must be more to the story (he also
criticized that we were so concerned about an animal instead of the elderly
gentleman).  Despite being quarantined almost two months (hidden away
because animal control reported that someone tried to break in and rescue
him), the court declared that he had to perish because the owner could not
prove that the animal control theory that he could have had rabies wasn't
correct.  ACs theory:  A bat could have flown into the owners house
unobserved, could have slipped through the bars of his cage, bit him without
leaving a mark that anyone noticed and flew back out of the house
unobserved.  Want to try to defend your dogs against that theory and prove
it didn't happen.

Closer to home and more dog related.  A bratty kid I knew when I was a kid,
showed me her bruise on her leg.  It was pretty nasty.  My mother really
didn't like the girl and made her mad over something and sent her home.
Girl and mother show back up claiming the bruise was from our GSD.  My
mother may not have liked me playing with the bratty girl, but was very glad
that I had already seen the bruise and knew the real story.

Deena