[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: And We Think It Cant Get Worse

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:14:41 EST

In a message dated 11/30/2005 7:52:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
4 dogs  are being held in our local Humane Society for "attacking" three
kids.   The kids suffered scratches and admit that the dogs "might" have been
playing  because the kids were jumping around and acting silly.  Because of the

type of dog they are they were taken by the Humane Society.  BUT, and  this is
the worse part, they may be euthanized before they ever get to  court.  Owners
are responsible for paying $300 a month for the care of  the dogs in custody,
that's $1200 total for this owner.  The Director of  the Humane Society says
that even though these dogs didn't cause severe injury  they don't consider
them adoptable because they "have the ability" to cause  severe injury.  So
unless this owner comes up with $1200 a month these  animals will never have
their
day in court.  Guilty just because they are  Pit Bulls.
All dogs have the "ability" to cause severe injury regardless of  breed.  We
really need to be concerned about these types of  situations.
Dee Lauffer

This is a good example of a heads up to everyone to keep your dogs  out of
situations that could become construed as a problem AND to become  active in
your community, going to shelters, donating time and $$$, doing  presentations,
being active in local govt., volunteering for local boards,  etc.

I had neighbors many years ago whose children would always be at the door
wanting to play w/ the dogs.  I work from home, I like the dogs exposed to
children, so except for when I was swamped w/ work, it was a win-win...or so I
thought. It all went well until one day, a bitch I had, convinced the toddler
shouldn't cross the street had his jersey in her mouth.  She  had him  by the
back of his shirt and wouldn't let him cross the street back to his house  and
between her hanging on and him trying to cross, she put two little  holes  in
the cotton t-shirt up by the neckband.  I was right there,  gardening, as was
his mom, but she was on her side of the street.  The  mom was a "little funny"
about it.  Now, this was an older bitch, knew to  stay  on her property,
wouldn't hurt a fly, but, you know, that ended the  play sessions.  I didn't
need
"funny" from the mom, especially when she was  using the dogs and I as
"babysitters".  AND if she had raised a stink, I  would want friends in the
community, so "active" is a good thing.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_