[ SHOWGSD-L ] Advice needed for an unusual tumor

  • From: Janbraeloch@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:26:13 EDT

Hi all,

I need some thoughts on a growth that the vet found on one of my males
yesterday.And no, I am not talking about that!!

My 8 year old, very active male was having trouble pooping yesterday and  was
moaning while walking about pushing out small pieces of poop, and then
continuing to walk about and moan.
We took him to the vet right away.They had me leave him there so that they
could fit him in. I assumed he had some kind of blockage, as he is  notorious
for eating anything he can catch ( a suicidal rabbit, i.e.) that might  go into
his kennel.

When I called the vet later in the day they said they had found a large
(tennis ball size) internal bunch next to, not in, his rectal area. It had to
be
palpated through the rectum.It was not visible from the outside. The vet
discussed some possible prognosis and then aspirated the growth.

He  later told me that he had spun the aspirate down and saw  no signs of an
infection or cells dividing.

 He then aspirated all of the fluid and kept my boy overnight,  expecting
that the bunch would fill back up. It didn't.

I picked my guy  up this morning and he is his usual self.  They could not
figure out what it was and suggested that when/if it again caused  problems to
take him to Cornell.He is not on any antibiotics as they found no  infection.

I am hot packing the area 2x a day and then waiting to see if it will  recur.

Does anyone have a thought about what this could have been or be?? What  else
might I do for it??
The vet had no idea.. that worries me too.

Help!!

Thanks in advance.

Jan
Jan  Stevenson