[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: A question for and about judges

  • From: Michael Lynch <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx, frontiergsd@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:43:18 -0800 (PST)

Here is something to chew on. I approach this as a horse show judge too!.

  In dog shows, a judge is only going to make 3-4 people happy on that given
day..
  Winners Dog
  Winners Bitch
  Best of Breed
  Best Puppy...

  In an entry of 60, thats about 56 people that will have an opinion some way
or the other.. So, in short, why worry? Hell, do what you want to and be damned
with the rest.

  In horse shows, my friends always ask, "is it ok to show to you?" I
said,"Sure, by all means, Im still gonna be honest and you damn well better
bring me what I like and it better perform. Im going to be harder on you
because you know better than the person who doesnt know me!"

  My friend brought a certain horse to me that I discovered in another barn,
she rode her tail off in about 6 classes and won all 6 and for the championship
she took it home. In my opinion, it was because it was the best horse in the
class, my friend just happened to ride him. Now, ringside said, "Well, the only
reason why he put up that horse is because Fran Cole owns it..."

  No, the only reason why Fran Cole won the class is because it was the best
horse. She got the gate with her black mare in 4 classes before she realized I
didnt like her. I still went to her barn after show party and we are still
friends to this day. But she shows me what I like and when its done, if shes
the best horse, she does well.

  On another note. I have mortal enemies that I have given championship wins to
and blues. I dont care if Satan himself was sitting in the saddle, he had the
best horse, he or she (which will remain nameless) was winning the class..
Period.

  You gotta look at it this way, ringside is gonna talk regardless. Youre a
dumb crook if you do put up your friends with a good dog, and youre an arse if
you didnt put up your friends with a mediocre dog.. so just cut your losses, do
what you wanna do because when it is all said and done, the one handing out the
ribbons has to be able to face him/herself in the morning.. and thats all that
really matters.

  Mike

Michael Lynch
  BlackHawk Farms,LLC