[ SHOWGSD-L ] A Christmas offering

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:23:16 -0800 (PST)

Many years ago, my mom, Elaine Bialick Rothleder Estep, wrote a column for a
local paper in Montgomery County, MD.  It was called Pet-Poperee, or something
like that.

  For her Christmas article one year she wrote the following, and we have kept
it with us all these years.

  I hope you will enjoy it.  Let Elaine know that you like it at
tykegsd@xxxxxxxxx
  sheila

  ?Twas the night before Christmas
  And all of the dog
  Were asleep in their kennels
  Like big furry logs

  They knew not the meaning
  Of the lights in the trees
  They knew not of carols
  Or doors decked with wreaths

  The ears of one pup
  Perked up at the sound
  Of hoofbeats and bootsteps
  On snow-covered ground

  His ears caught a noise,
  His nose found a scent
  Someone strange coming near
  A jolly, old gent

  A mysterious man
  All dressed in red
  With a funny hat
  On his bearded head
  And though I?ve not met him
  Before this cold night
  I know he?s a friend
  Not someone to bite

  He opened my pen
  And scratches my ear
  He gives me a bone
  And a rubber reindeer

  He says I?m a good boy
  And a beautiful pup!
  And I?ll be a great winner
  When I really grow up

  He goes on to the next pen
  And says ?Hi? to my mother
  Then goes over to see
  My father and brother

  On one of the toys
  I started to lick
  On the spot where the tag said
  ?To you from Stain Nick?

  I know that my master
  Has nothing so fine
  As this nighttime
  Visitor of mine

  Because if he did
  He?d never agree
  To let him near
  A mere dog like me

  And so I bed down in circles
  And make myself snug
  To think of Stain Nick
  And his warm Christmas hug.

  By Elaine Estep with editing assistance by Karen McRay