[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 5 pts....growing Clubs & shows..=20

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:08:38 -0800

Possibly some of our Specialty Clubs could set aside a booth or table =
for
Hospitality=20
with
photos and GSD information and someone manning the booth or =
table.......or
at least keeping an eye on it to go over and spend time with new people =
as
they come around it. Some good books on our Breed that we could =
recommend,
fun and informative photos of Club activities, copies of our Standard,
Contact person for the Club and time and=20
dates
of Reg. meetings,etc......Possibly the name of the mentor that has been
assigned to=20
that
Club through Nancy Harper's Mentoring Committee....or that mentor in =
person
if they=20
are
at that show.   That way people won't be attempting to have a =
conversation
with=20
someone
on their way to bathe their dog ..........<G>

Have the puppy "showcase"  after the show for newcomers to watch the =
puppies
and then many of us would have time to visit with them with a few finger
snacks........ This really wouldn't take much effort and the payoff =
could be
huge....

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

From: "Terry Cochran" <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>

> The Regional clubs have to hold fun matches and they need to make the=20
> FUN. When we
> are showing or working a show it is hard to find the time to talk to =
the
new people.=20
> We come off looking rude and  closed to new people. We need to have =
fun
matches that=20
> educate new people to the world of dogs. >  Terry

> Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  IMO the key is new people. Selling nice puppies to people that want=20
> to show but
> don't have that show background...taking a chance on them....and don't
discourage=20
> them from handling their own dogs but rather.....encourage them to =
take
handler=20
> classes then stand ringside as a group or club and cheer them =
on.......

> People on this list have said it's not about the quantity but rather=20
> the quality of
> dog in the ring...but really why is that a good thing? The clubs don't
benefit with=20
> entry fees....there isn't enough dogs to make up majors anymore so the =
AKC
has=20
> adjusted the numbers accordingly...but then majors don't mean =
anything.
There are=20
> more champions that shouldn't be champions....more dogs being bred =
that
maybe=20
> shouldn't be bred.
>
> In the day when GSD entries were huge.....were all of the dogs=20
> good...were all the
> dogs handled by handlers....no.....but it seemed like people had a lot
more fun. If=20
> the time was spent encouraging new GSD owners to show their dog....if
these new=20
> owners were educated...were told that their dog may never be a =
champion
but that=20