[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 5 pts....growing Clubs & shows..

  • From: "Nancy Harper" <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 16:04:34 -0500

<nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:08 PM
Subject: Re:5 pts....growing Clubs & shows..
Carolyn Martello wrote:

> Possibly some of our Specialty Clubs could set aside a booth or table for
Hospitality
> with
> photos and GSD information and someone manning the booth or table.......or
at least
> keeping an eye on it to go over and spend time with new people as they
come around it.
> Some good books on our Breed that we could recommend,  fun and informative
photos
> of Club activities, copies of our Standard, Contact person for the Club
and time and
> dates
> of Reg. meetings,etc......Possibly the name of the mentor that has been
assigned to
> that
> Club through Nancy Harper's Mentoring Committee....or that mentor in
person if they
> are
> at that show.   That way people won't be attempting to have a conversation
with
> someone
> on their way to bathe their dog ..........<G>

 Thank you Carolyn, this is exactly what the Mentoring Committe is all
about.
We must bring in new people or we will continue to stagnate.  Some of the
Mentoring Committee have not been received very well.  Let's ask ourselves,
"How are we treating each other,& new people asking questions, questions,
questions. Are we taking the time necessary to open up ourselves, are we in
a click that exclude others" are we openly critical of others and their
dogs"?
When a Mentoring person contacts your club
 they are simply suggesting methods that have proven successful in other
breed clubs.  Here is what we are asking you to try, this is know as our
introductry 12 step program:
1) Have a greeter (Mentor) at the door each meeting/gathering
2) Have a table with  name tags for everyone. (It is difficult to converse
with members and remember all the names) Everyone can sign in at the table,
that's your attendance list
3) Mentor should sit with new people and new members
4) Mentor should stand during meeting and introduce new people/
5) Vistors, Guests, New members ( 6 months or less) should be given the new
Survey.( The information gathered from this New Survey is very useful-it can
open up all kinds of doors)
6) Completed Survey collected BEFORE meeting is adjourned ( you may never
see it again otherwise)
7) At meeting be prepared to share a Review, a Redbook, hand out a Breed
Standard.
8) Plug the PC and the benefits of belonging, our National, Futurities,
Review, Redbook, Web Site, Education Programs (these will be forthcoming
with a great Education committee) Health Issues, (again a new committee
bludging with information is forming and will be putting informaiton out
there for you to access) .
9) About a week later Mentor to call these people and thank them for coming
to the meeting.
10) Mentor to call at least a week before the next meeting and invite back.
11) Inform  new people, guest etc up upcoming events ie matches, obedience
classes, conformation classes, speciality and all breed shows coming in the
area. etc.
12) As a result of the survey you will know who to match  up these new
people with, you will know what venues to send them to.
This is really not that difficult and does not require that much effort.
Mentors can be changed at each meeting if that works for your club.  Come on
Regional Clubs and get behind this program it's for YOUR CLUB. If anyone out
there wants a copy of the survey let me know. Above all, please treat these
Mentor Committee folks with some respect, after all they are giving of their
time and effort, not for themselves but for the growth of YOUR club.  Our
2nd step program is exactly as Carolyn has outlined in her email below.
> Have the puppy "showcase"  after the show for newcomers to watch the
puppies and then
> many of us would have time to visit with them with a few finger
snacks........
> This really wouldn't take much effort and the payoff could be huge....
Thanks Terry, again good suggestions.

> > The Regional clubs have to hold fun matches and they need to make the
FUN. When we
> > are showing or working a show it is hard to find the time to talk to the
new people.
> > We come off looking rude and  closed to new people. We need to have fun
matches that
> > educate new people to the world of dogs. >  Terry
>
> > Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  IMO the key is new people. Selling nice puppies to people that want to
show but
> > don't have that show background...taking a chance on them....and don't
discourage
> > them from handling their own dogs but rather.....encourage them to take
handler
> > classes then stand ringside as a group or club and cheer them on.......
> >
> >  If
> > the time was spent encouraging new GSD owners to show their dog....if
these new
> > owners were educated...were told that their dog may never be a champion
but that
> > Conformation was another event they could particpate and have fun
in...collect some
> > ribbons in (yes ribbons not points).....I think the entries would
increase....and
> > you might end up with a few new handlers as an added bonus too.
> >
> > Cindy
> > Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > How do we make it for everyone to come out and enjoy....
> > Molly
Many of us are aware SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.
Nancy Harper
=====
> > POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the
original author
> > and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind
are
> > permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of the
Showgsd-l
> > Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
> >
> > ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN
ANY MANNER OF
> > ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL
> > PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A