[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4 H shows

  • From: diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 10:12:29 -0700

Sally wrote:
Most of these animals are thought of as livestock very few pets.
I used to live in Elkhart, IN. Our 4-H Fair was well known for being
one of the better ones in the state.

The kids did a great job with their dogs, and the trainers were the
same ones involved with obedience training at the Michiana Kennel
Club. Some of them easily did directed retrieves and out of sight
long downs.

But I have to agree with Susan and Sally, that as far as the other
animals, they looked at them differently. I stopped in one of the
rabbit tents, and admired the many different breeds of rabbits. Some
had long fur, and there were rabbits of every shape and size. All
seemed to be in beautiful condition. They had frozen water bottles in
their cages to help keep them cool.

A beautiful young Amish girl with blond curls tumbling out from
beneath her cap, looked like an angel from a a painting. She was
cleaning her rabbits' cages very carefully and gently. She was
changing their water bottle, adding clean food, etc.

I asked her, "Excuse me, which breed of rabbit makes the best pet?"
She looked at me with suspicion.
"What do you mean?," she asked.

I said, "I mean, which are the friendliest, and like to be held and
pet?"

She suddenly understood my question. She glanced at her friend and
then back at me. I could see she felt a little sorry for my ignorance.
"Lady, these rabbits aren't for petting. They're for eating!"

Diane Holliday
Scottsdale, AZ