[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: 4 H shows

  • From: Erynbrook@xxxxxxx
  • To: hollywoods@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 02:21:13 EDT

In a message dated 8/13/2005 10:02:18 PM Mountain Standard Time,
hollywoods@xxxxxxx writes:
> I dont believe in someone making a  pet of
> something and gaining its trust and then eating it.........  Im sure I will
> get flackk over this

This week is our county fair and one of my interviews was with a young man
who had raised the Reserve Grand Champion turkey. He will use the money from
the
sale of the turkey to continue his horseback riding lessons. He raised 6
turkeys this year, 2 were entered in the show and will be sold at the sale. He
intends to keep two of them for breeding and says the family will eat the other
2. He was fine with that. The animals these kids raise are not thought of or
raised as pets. They are approached as the farm animals they are -- and they
are
judged on their fitness and quality for food. He told me his turkey went
Reserve because of the degree of fat, which was slightly higher than that of
the
Grand Champion. He told me next year he needed to pay more attention to the
parts of the wings. He intends to be a farmer and raise cattle and turkeys. I
have met and known many 4-Hers just like him over the years.

The 4-H dog show is judged on the training, grooming and presentation of the
dog, an entirely different approach to animals from those animals that are
bred and raised to be sold at market for food. Kids in 4-H may well see their
dog
as a pet, but kids showing farm animals know from the start why their animals
are raised. They do become attached to them, but they know they are not pets.

Susan Casey
Erynbrook German Shepherds and
Front Range German Shepherd Rescue