[SeniorTech] More "local words"

  • From: "Jerry Taylor" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'SeniorTech Listserv'" <seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:19:07 -0400

When I grew up in Utah a rubber band was an "elastic." I'm told by a friend
who moved from Ohio that she had never heard this use of the word.
This is my second contribution to the local words thread because I thought
of some more. A knitted cap was called a ski hat on Long Island and a
toboggan in Tennessee. "To go clean up" is Tennessee talk for taking a
shower. Many Tennesseans call a chimney a chimley. On Long Island students
got "marks" on their report cards. Here in Virginia, They get "grades." In
Tennessee report cards are called "grade cards" amd yearbooks are called
"annuals."
In all my years I have also forgotten more colloquialisms than I retained.
Here are a few from Eastern N.C. (eventhough I now live in MD I go back
occasionally to renew my accent)
    N.C. MD
    boot             trunk of the car
    ride on the car        ride in the car
    nearboutit        almost
    onliest             difficult person or situation
When I first started teaching second graders in Niles, IL, they would ask
for help with "zippering" their coats! This was the first time I had every
heard zipper used in a verb form. They also would not allow budgies in line.
I grew up in central IL and we always said no cuts in line.
To the list let me add: lift = getting a ride from someone wheels = a car
smooch = kiss
Kids waiting in line at our school say a kid has "budged" if they enter the
line anywhere except the end. When I was a kid, we "butt in line", or "cut
in line". Our spigots are outside faucets that one attaches garden hoses to.
Faucets are part of the sink. We wash up "at the sink" or "in the sink". In
this area of the state we have bubblers (water fountains) and drink pop
(soda).
Subject: Re: local words
I have been reluctant to jump into this discussion since I grew up in
England and didn't know where to begin with all the different words we use.
>When I grew up in Utah a rubber band was an "elastic." I'm told by a
>friend who moved from Ohio that she had never heard this use of the word.
In England they are elastic bands, erasers are rubbers, band aids are
plasters (short for sticking plaster)> I could go on all day. My current
favorite story: I have a friend who belongs to a folk dancing discussion
group on the net. The members discuss the colors and styles of their various
costumes. Whenever an American dancer writes about their vest and knickers,
their English counterparts howl with laughter. In England those items of
clothing are underwear!

Jerry Taylor
SeniorTech
http://www.seniortech.us <http://www.seniortech.us/>