[SeniorTech] Re: More "local words"

  • From: Bernard Tomasso <dr.bernie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: seniortech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:41:25 -0400

How about these:

Is it about or aboot?
Is it interesting or intresting?
Is it a-dult or ad-ult?
Is it comfortable or comfrtable?

Bernie Tomasso

On Jun 7, 2010, at 7:12 PM, Jerry Taylor wrote:

When I was at Dartmouth in New Hampshire, they called the sprinkels put on top of ice cream cones "jimmies" Also, in NYC we always get "on" line, never in line
In Illinois, when we are ill, we do call < in > sick. Here's another one, in Northern Illinois, you might go for a walk in the evening. In southern Illinois, you go for a walk of an evening.
Hi---a while ago, I responded briefly, asking if anyone knew what a bubbler was---yes, it IS a drinking fountain. But I have always thought "bubbler" was more fun. Jane P.S. I have been saving postings. I'm going on vacation to Scotland and this has given me one more thing to look for/listen to while there.
In Brooklyn, NY, where I grew up, if you were going to stay in bed longer than usual, it was referred to as "sleeping late," but when I moved to upstate New York, it was called "sleeping in." (I wonder what "sleeping 'out' might mean, then???) Also, In Brooklyn, if your body accidentally made contact with another person or object, it was called "bunking into" it. Up here in Ithaca, NY, it's "bumping into," because "bunking" means you are sleeping with someone! Another unusual phrase I've heard in Ithaca is the phrase "taking" a magazine, meaning subscribing to it (as in "I take Newsweek and National Geographic."). I'm enjoying the growing collection......I'm sure I will think of more to add.
My sister-in-law says "I'm going to do the "WERSH" (wash as in laundry). My husband likes "picallily" on his hotdog rather than pickle relish. If you're a Dubuquer, you play Euchre (card game).
Susie
I've got some more interesting words for you from the interns at Bozell, Salvati, Montgomery Sakoda in Costa Mesa California Mark from Wisconsin-Bubbler is a water fountain, sucker instead of lolliop, a cheese sandwich is a skimper Andrea from Delaware-To "bag up" means to laugh, jimmies on ice cream cones, not sprinkles; I've also heard people call a drawer a 'draw', subs are also called hoagies When I was London, the bathroom was called simply toilet. A bathroom meant you needed a bath or shower. Brad from Seattle- tennis shoes instead of sneakers; dungarees instead of jeans Tony from Chicago-washroom instead of bathroom Kristen from Connecticut- highway instead of freeway; in Detroit it is called expressway
Did anyone else notice that Colin referred to his 15 years old *pupils*? It seems to me that this is an "older" term in the U.S. and that we more often now refer to them as *students*. I often refer to my *kids* and most usually address my class collectively as *people*. On a one to one basis, if I do not use her/his name, I will sometimes say "young man" or "young lady". I almost never use "boys and girls", although I often hear my colleagues do so. I teach 2nd grade and I am a California "native" but my colleagues are from various parts of the U.S. I am curious as to whether any area of the U.S. uses *pupil* -- perhaps on the East Coast/New England? "Are we having fun yet?
Hi! I've been talking to everyone who will listen about this "local words" thing. It's fun and interesting as well as challenging. In the past 50 years, I've lived in New York City (NY), Philadelphia (PA), Burlington (IA), St. Louis County (MO), and Hampton (VA). I know there are differences in languages in all of these areas, but I can only come up with these few:
    hoagies - Philadelphia...    subs - New York
    sacks - Burlington...    bags - New York & Philly
    cellars - Burlington...    rathskellers - St. Louis
        basements - New York.

A friend from South Carolina told me these:
    tote (meaning to carry)
    chunk (meaning to throw)
    fetch (meaning to get)
    poke (a bag in the mountains of S.C.).