[ScintillaNET] Re: PN

  • From: "Simon Steele" <s.steele@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Garrett Serack'" <gserack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:09:08 -0000

Hi,

> [For those not privy to this original conversation, Simon
> Steele and I have been conversing about a unification of the
> styling languages for PNotepad and ScintillaNET. Simon built
> a XML configuration derrived from my original specs for
> ScintillaNET, and we've since both deviated from that.  In
> the interests of unity and sharing, I want to move the two
> styling languages together, benefiting us all :) ]
>
> How's the progress going on that schema.

Sorry about the delay in getting this done, I've been extremely busy with
real work the last couple of weeks!

I've put some basic schemaware for the PN2 Scheme format here:

http://www.pnotepad.org/files/pn2schema.zip

This doesn't include the definition for the custom scheme (user-defined)
stuff that PN2 has, but I'll get that done in short order - honest!

Hopefully there's nothing too app-centric in the schema I've placed there.
Currently (badly) there's no namespace for all this stuff, but I think I'd
like to change that so that app-specific elements can be mixed in if
necessary.

Slight disclaimer: I've not run every scheme in PN2 through the validator
yet, so the schema may be slightly off. I'm in the process of doing so
gradually (as I get spare minutes) and that might prompt a change.

Also, while I do currently support the concept of "globals" and their
replacement, they don't hold a lot of value for me in that most people don't
edit these things by hand (for PN). Therefore, I'm thinking about removing
that functionality from PNs implementation.

> I've been thinking about this a bit more, and I *REALLY*
> would like to make these unified. I'm pretty flexible on
> making the appropriate changes, to ensure there are no
> app-centric details in there.

I think there are definitely benefits for all of us - it will save me some
effort on porting .properties files if nothing else!

Hope this is of some use,

Simon.

--
Simon Steele