[sanesecurity] Re: clamd stability with new sigs

  • From: Bill Landry <bill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:47:29 -0800

Denis Beauchemin wrote:
> Steve Basford a écrit :
>>

>> Mike Cardwell wrote:
>>>
>>> Pretty much the same story here. Although it has only crashed once so
>>> far. I wrote a script to check every few minutes if clam is running
>>> and to restart it if not.
>>>
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Could you keep an eye on this and see if you can see if it's caused
>> shortly after a database reload... or just randomly?
>>
>> I've asked the ClamAV team for help in suggesting things to look
>> for/try in order to diagnose the problem.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve
>> Sanesecurity
>>

> Steve,
>
> On many servers it crashes just after this log entry:
> Jan 26 13:04:40 smtpi5 freshclam[20165]: Clamd successfully notified
> about the update.
>
> This has nothing to do with new Sanesecurity files!  Looks like on some
> occasions freshclam screws things up for clamd...
>
> Running on RHEL 5.3 servers with clamd-0.94.2-1.el5.rf.
>
> Denis

Yep, clamd also crashed occasionally when the official (freshclam)
updates are reloaded.  However, this only started happening after
running the new SaneSecurity databases, so it must have something to do
with them, but what that something is, is still a mystery - especially
because clamd (at least here) only crashes one or twice a day, even
though reloads are executed by freshclam and the unofficial scripts
several times a day.

The other thing that is strange is that this is happening even though
the signature databases integrity are always verified successfully by
clamscan, so they shouldn't be causing any problems when reloading.

Bill