[sanesecurity] Re: clamd stability with new sigs

  • From: Ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:59:43 -0500

We have been running clamd for many years and currently run it on several centos-4 servers. clamav package built from source. We have been using sanesecurity for quite a while as well. We have *never* had stability issues and continue that stellar trend even with the new sigs.

If people are now magically having stability issues I'd start looking into resource usage. Adding a pile of sigs does take up a lot of memory. We have seen steady growth in memory resource usage over the years because of sig file growth from clamav itself and the other ones we add on.

Bill Landry wrote:
GrayHat wrote:
Yes I am also seeing this exact same behavior. It has crashed on all
of my servers a number of times since adding the sigs. Maybe we
are running into a resource issue. Can clamd be tuned to handle more,
I don't know, threads, memory, etc?
Been running the previous signatures and the new ones w/o any "crash"
or other issues; now I suspect that your problems may be related to some
local environment factor (memory maybe ?); sure, maybe there's a "bad"
signature inside a file causing clamd to crash, and maybe my ClamDs
never saw that particular critter, but in general I'd tend to suspect of
some
local issue than to signature issues

Been running clamd for years here, and have been using the SaneSecurity
signatures since they originally became available a year or so ago, and
have not seen any crashes until we started using the "new" SaneSecurity
signatures a few days ago.

Bill