[sanesecurity] More Mysterious Messages

  • From: Michael Lambert <lambert@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 08:27:11 -0400

Can someone help me to understand why I am receiving the following message?  My
script uses rsync compression and runs every six hours.

Welcome to the Sanesecurity mirror - kindly provided by [sane.helljert.de]

In order to ensure the best performance for all mirror users and prevent your IP address being automatically banned for excessive connections, we recommend that:

* You only use the recommended download scripts available here:

  http://www.sanesecurity.com/download_scripts_linux.htm (linux)
  http://www.sanesecurity.com/clamav/download_scripts_win.htm (windows)

  These scripts are frequently updated with new features/bugfixes and
help limit bandwidth for use on the freely provided mirrors, by turning on
  Rsync compression (-z, --compress).

* Configure your update scripts to check for new signatures *no less* than once an hour.

If your client connects more than once within an hour it will be automatically blocked from connecting for a period of time, in order to ensure the best performance for all other
  mirrors users.

Thank you for your understanding.

Steve
Sanesecurity