[sanesecurity] Re: Clamd regularly crashing

  • From: Robert <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sanesecurity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 03:44:16 +0100

On 2 Jun 2009, at 03:23, Chuck Fisher wrote:

Robert wrote:
My install of Clamd has been crashing regularly.
5 times yesterday, 28 times and counting today.

#
Version = ClamAV 0.95.1/9411/ from source.
System = Linux 2.6.26.8-57.fc8 #1 SMP Thu Dec 18 19:19:45 EST 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
#

Can any one help ??

Much Thanks,
Robert.

Just to get a little more information.
If the script and freshclam are not triggering the reload, what is? And
how? By killing the pid or reload command, etc.

I think the SelfCheck option in clamd.conf was forcing a reload.
All the crashes occured after an instance of SelfCheck running.
(According to my interpretation of the logs).

What does top (or similar) say you have in free memory when all your
processes are running?

A quick 'top' just now gives the following.....
Mem:   1034544k total,   912736k used,   121808k free,    39240k buffers
Swap:  2031608k total,    95004k used,  1936604k free,   347516k cached

My own clam crash experience is a little hard to put together because I
did so many things within a short time frame. And my system was not
crashing very often. I doubled the servers memory, changed how it
reloaded and upgraded Clam. It was after I changed from reload to a pid
kill that my system stopped crashing, but the other upgrades came
shortly after. So I cannot point my finger. Plus I was in somewhat of a
rush because I needed to get the system as rock solid as I could so I
could get back surgery.

Chuck

What I ended up doing was the following....

I disabled 'SelfCheck' in the clamd.conf file.
Then enabled 'reload' in freshclam.conf and also in Bill Landry's script.

(I also checked that neither Freshclam or Bill's Script would execute
at the same minute of the hour via cron)

So far no crashes in the last 4hrs.
(Whereas before I was getting around 3-4 crashes per hour).

Fingers firmly crossed....

Robert.