[sac-forum] (no subject)

  • From: Albert Barr <ajbarr@xxxxxx>
  • To: Forum SAC <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 13:44:21 -0700

Hi Darrell, I am not quite sure how to reply to your comments directly so
here's mine via the group Forum.

I think Astrophotography is both a science and an art form. At the end of the
day it continues to amaze me that we can capture photons like this and create
beautiful images of the universe that we could never see with our naked eye.

Personally, I am more interested in photography than science so I guess you
could say for me it's more of an art form. However, NASA developed the Hubble
Palette for scientific reasons and despite "unrealistic" colors, they seem to
be the best way to demonstrate exactly where the different gases are in deep
sky objects.

Sometimes I image for art and sometimes I try to be more scientific. I use a
program, for example, called Xcalibrator, that actually measures true star
color compared to your image and you can adjust the colors to be more
representative of the real thing.

Anyway I am just thrilled living in Arizona now and seeing a lot more clear sky
than I ever did in Florida.

Best

Albert