[sac-forum] Re: The Problem with Imaging

  • From: Steve D. <fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC Forum <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 11:49:27 -0700

I have just a couple thoughts on this subject.
 I believe that astroimagers tend to overprocess in an attempt to recreate, not
the colors but the dynamic range of the human eye.  I can't count the number of
times I've tried to capture a sunset, for instance, only to fail with flying
colors.  (Pun intended.)  The eye can capture the image, but a mere photograph
is simply incapable of coming close given the range of colors, hues and
luminance.  It's the same at the telescope.  Astrophotographers seem to make up
for the lack of dynamic range by massaging the data and hence blowing out the
core or losing the fine detail in the nebula.  No their fault, just
overcompensating.
  i disagree with the person that dismissed narrow band images.  These are
extremely useful in the science of imaging and astronomy.  With a well
calibrated image, mapping the specific wavelengths of light captured through
the filters to colors other than what the brain expects reveals a tremendous
amount of new information.  It's again because of the brain's amazing ability
to process on the fly the dynamic range of color and intensity that makes these
images useful.
  I give credit to those that take data and the time to process it, but I'm
with Ken when he says he skips over them.  No offense, but why do I need to see
yet another overblown image of M42?  Art for art's sake is...something less
imho.

Steve Dodder
Chairman, SAC Novice Group
Coordinator, Grand Canyon Star Party, North Rim
Director, Stone Haven Observatory

fester00@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.stonehavenobservatory.com

From: kengsikes@xxxxxxx

I am not belittling CCD photography, but
today  Astrophotography is basically make it look the way you want it to
look. Albert takes alot of pictures, as do others. Each uses different pallets
for color definition as  the owner sees fit and produces great
pictures.

Personally, I do not look at the CCD image as I
cannot see that object in that color in my telescope and I delete the post.
This
is not meant to demean what others do , but to keep in the realm of reality as
see it.

Ken Sikes