[sac-forum] Re: Problems with Cloudy Nights

  • From: Tim Jones <timj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 14:02:30 -0700

Not immune, just not subject to code writers that don’t understand assertion,
exception handling and Try … Catch ... Finally.  Bad code is bad code.  It’s
just that the development tools on the Mac do a better job of warning you if
you’ve stepped outside of safety bounds.

Chrome is a perfect example.  It’s primarily written on Linux and has heavy
bounds checking.  If a maliciously formatted web site tries to push things into
the heap, Chrome crashes to be on the safe side.  Of course, we then have to
put up with the Chrome Crash Analyzer daemon pulling the stack trace for
reporting… If they had written it using Xcode, a simple Instruments run would
have warned where the corruption could occur and not be caught.

Tim