[sac-forum] Mutual Events of Jupiter's Moons

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 12:12:58 -0500

At yesterday's SAC meeting I mentioned that this is the season to watch
Jupiter's moons occult and eclipse each other, since we're passing through the
orbital plane near opposition.  The most favorable of these events involve
Ganymede or Callisto being eclipsed, since they are larger than Io and Europa.
Sky & Telescope's site has this article on the subject authored by Alan
MacRobert.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/sky-and-telescope-magazine/beyond-the-printed-page/mutual-events-jupiters-satellites-201415/

It mentions a table creation page, which I have found to be very accurate.  Use
that table, and just enter 697 as the observatory code, which is accurate
enough for all of Arizona.

The next good event is an eclipse of Callisto by Io on the 15th at 12:30UT
(5:50 a.m.).  That "Impact" column is important; a smaller number means more
coverage, with 0 being a central passage.