[sac-forum] Re: For brave observers

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 15:14:14 -0700

A quick Yahoo search turned up these contacts:
Astronomy clubs in Hawaii
http://www.astronomyclubs.com/1/190/13/0/club.aspx
Hawaiian Astronomical Society
http://www.hawastsoc.org/
Bishop Museum and Planetarium
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/planetarium/planetarium.html
West Hawaii Astronomy Club (WHAC)
http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/whac/home.html
WHAC yahoo group
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/whac/
(They refer to themselves as WHACos -- sounds like out kind of group!!)
Hawaii astronomy links (scroll down)
http://outreach.jach.hawaii.edu/links/
Astronomy in Hawaii (links list by U. of Hawaii)
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/ifa/astronomy_in_hawaii.htm
NOAA GOES Satellite images
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/
IR-Visible-Water Vapor -- for East CONUS, West CONUS, Hawaii, etc.
(No Clear Sky Chart for Hawaii, bummer.... Canada and US only)

Mees Solar Observatory - Hawaii
http://www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/mees.html
Mauna Kea Observatories
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/mko/
Haleakala Observatories
http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/haleakala/

As for southern deep-sky objects lists:
Jack Bennett Catalog
http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky/lists.html
A better web page with more information on Bennett
http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/borley/49/bennett.htm
Astronomical Objects for Southern Telescopes -- classic book by Hartung, now updated
http://www.aao.gov.au/images/general/hartung_contents.html
(This site lists the TOC for Hartung's book, and shows spectacular photos by David Malin)
Review of the book
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/46-343-0-0-1-0.html
Southern Astronomical Delights (Andrews James' Australian web pages on deep sky observing, esp. double stars)
http://www.geocities.com/ariane1au/index.htm

Have fun!
Gene Lucas
(17250)

AJ Crayon wrote:
Debbie, I agree that some folks think the SAC fees are high, but I'm not one of them. We are fortunate to be able to have such good amenities for the price we pay. If it were me it sounds like the volcano dinner would be fun and a good learning experience. Provided, of course the weather is favorable and they have a good telescope. It also might we worthwhile to being a list, with coordinates, of what you would like to see. Even something not normally available from Arizona latitudes would be a memorable observation. Perhaps you could do a Show-n-Tell for SAC once you return.

AJ Crayon
Phoenix, AZ