[sac-forum] 120mm (4.7 inch) refractor from sale

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:41:59 -0700

Hello all;
I have a 120mm (4.7 inch) f/8.2 refractor for sale.  So the focal length is
1000mm.  It has a 6X30 finderscope, mounting rings, dew shield and a 2 inch
focuser.  The brand name of this tube assembly is Konus.

It delivers excellent images, dark and contrasty star fields with very little
color for a doublet lens.  The only time a little purple sneaks into a view is
when you have a bright planet or first magnitude star in the field.  Other than
that there is no color I can detect.  Lots of detail at 150X on the Moon and
Jupiter.  Any Messier open cluster is very well seen with lots of well defined
star points and a dark sky beyond.  With a wide field 2 inch eyepiece and
diagonal the field is about 1.5 degrees and this scope does a nice job at
providing wide field views of the Milky Way.

The only reason I am selling it that I have acquired at the same time a 4 inch
f/6 refractor that is better at wide field viewing and that is the reason that
I started to look at refractors in this size range.  This would make a great
starter scope or a fine second scope.

I am not selling the mount, but it does fit up with any of the medium sized CG5
mounts available today.

Tube assembly and other accessories, all for 160 dollars.  Great price for
quick sale.

I will be home on Sunday evening, May 23 and can set it up if you would like to
look before buying.  I am at 7th Street and Thunderbird in Moon Valley.

Take Care;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org