[sac-board] Re: SAC T-Bird Park Public Star Party 2009 Scheduled

  • From: "Richard Harshaw" <rharshaw2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:32:05 -0700

Ah, the "I" word. What motivates us?

In an ideal world, I would appeal to the sense of wonder all of us first
experienced when we saw our first views through binoculars or a telescope
and ask members to freely share that awe with folks who have not yet tasted
it.  That will work with maybe half of any club of amateurs.

The other issue, however, is that this is an intensely personal hobby (most
of us spend a majority of our observing time alone in our back yards or a
nearby convenient site) and we use, in many cases, terribly expensive
equipment that is not too rugged when exposed to young, restless, ADHD,
sugared-up kids and parents who don't know how to keep them under control.
So I can also see why many folks do NOT want to share the skies with their
equipment.

Which brings me to an idea if we can find a way to grow our funding to a
respectable surplus-- the club could purchase 2 or 3 good dobs of moderate
aperture and low cost and use those for public events. Then, members who
wanted to do a public party but were averse to bringing their own equipment
could man one of the club's scopes. We could also emblazon the tubes with a
large SAC logo as a way to encourage people to ask us what this is all
about.... maybe recruit a few new members that way. The club in Kansas City
had an observatory for public events with a 30-inch  Newt under a dome and
two Meade dobs (12" and 16") in a roll-off roof shed. Some members brought
their own scopes out and set them on the lawn for public events, and many
more came and worked the 30-incher or one of the Meades. We usually had a
good showing of club members at our public events, partly (but not entirely,
of course) because of the club equipment.

In the final haul, any volunteer organization will follow the 80-20 rule--
80% of the work gets done by 20% of the members. And within that small
cadre, another 80/20 is at its core.  With 80 members, we can figure maybe
16 regular helpers at events, and of those, 3 or 4 who are zealots. Maybe
someday having club equipment that is not so over-protected as a large SCT
or  Dob may help some of those other uninvolved folks step up and help out a
little more. But even if they don't, they are still club members and I honor
them and respect them.

Richard Harshaw
Cave Creek, AZ