[rsc] ROOTS at Community Built Association

  • From: Kathie de Nobriga <kdenobriga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jmather_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <kathy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, meg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JOHONEAL@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:35:42 -0400

Hello dear ROOTer friends,

I understand that each of you have expressed interest in participating in RSC's session at the upcoming Community Built Association Conference, to be held at the Renaissance Arts Hotel in NOLA. [Papa O'Neal, I'm including you in this because I saw you left a note on the conference website that you would be around, and I thought you might be interested too. We'd love to have you.] The workshop is on Friday - May 7, from 10:45 am -12:00 pm.

In this session, RSC facilitators will attempt to introduce new audiences to Alternate ROOTS and to the Principles of Community Engagement as RSC has (is/will be) articulated them and to encourage people to think about the values and principles that infuse their own work. Please see page 4 of the attached workbook for the graphic of Principles; we will be handing out this page at the workshop (along with ROOTS brochure, of course!)

Below are both the official description as it appears in the CBA program descriptions and the rough outline of the session --- Jeff and I have talked about the session in principle and we may refine it next week, but I think the bones are solid.That said, if you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. If you are able to attend, we'll ask you to share ONE story of how ONE of the Principles plays out in your work....please choose your stories with your audience in mind -- in this case, playground builders, public art makers & installers, concrete/stone/brick wizards, muralists, garden-scapers, etc. Stories must take NO MORE THAN THREE MINUTES!!!! CHOOSE ONE and e-mail me which Principle you want...first come, first served! Jeff and I will pick up the orphans....)

OFFICIAL DESCRIPTION
1. "Alternate Roots - Resources for Social Change" - Kathie deNobriga, Jeff Mather, Meg Anderson http://alternateroots.org/ How we do our work in community is as important as what we do. Join members of Alternate ROOTS as they talk about the principles, tenets, guidelines, approaches - the values - that shape and support our work in community. For 35 years, ROOTS and its members have been exploring the theories and practices of community-based art-making: as part of ROOTS, Resources for Social Change has been creating spaces for creative learning exchanges throughout the South. Consider this a learning exchange designed especially for CBA and its members: we'll kick off the session with a quick overview of our principles, then open up a dialogue - an interactive, hands-on discovery and sharing of the values and principles drive your process of community engagement.

WORKSHOP OUTLINE
5 minutes               Welcome, context, overview (Jeff & Kathie)
10 minutes Introductions, mapping, who's in the room (Kathie et al) [NOTE: we have no idea how many to expect]
2 minutes               Quick Introduction of the Principles (Jeff) -- handout
15 minutes FIVE Stories of THREE Minutes each, illustrating one of the Principles -- I will be sitting stopwatch and wielding Stop sign

10 minutes Individual art-making: "Illustrate one of your own core principles in working with community. You may make a visual representation, create a short dance, or write something to share." We will have a ton of art supplies (with tables) for folks to use. If folks want to work in teams or otherwise collaborate, that's cool. As people finish, they'll be invited to hang their work in the "gallery" (or to establish a "stage" for themselves).

20-30 minutes Group Gallery Walk -- talk about what we see, look for connections/intersections/challenges; general discussion

If we have time, in the last 5 minutes, we'll do a quick plus/delta evaluation or other type of closing.

After you share your THREE MINUTE STORY, it would be fun if you'd create something for the Gallery too!

Write me back with Q? and stake a claim on YOUR Favorite Principle!!!!

love to all, in gratitude for your interest,
Kathie
--
Kathie deNobriga
PO Box 1087 * Pine Lake * GA 30072