[rsc] Elandria-please add this to your resource package on intergenerational organizing!

  • From: Ebony Golden <furiousflower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, rsc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, elandria@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mama nia <butterflyhush@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 14:05:13 -0400

**
*Alternate Roots-Resources for Social Change, SpiritHouse, and Betty’s
Daughter Arts Collaborative*

“Growing Across Generations”

Durham, NC

 Designed by: Shon Sims and Ebony Noelle Golden

*Materials*

Tables and Chairs

TV/DVD- to watch film

speakers-to play music

water-to drink

paper

pens/pencils

markers

BIG PAPer

Paper to write and draw

Video camera-Let's record and document

tape

*Learning Exchange Design*

*Guiding Question:  How do we support dialogue and action across
generations?*

*Introduction:* Shon and Ebony

Who We Are-5 min

What is Alternate (Shon) Roots and RSC (Ebony)-5 min

Group Norms:  Ebony (Shon scribe) 5 min

*Community Circle*-Shon 15 min

What communities do we come from?  What community are we creating here?

Think about a community you identify with from smallest to largest.  We will
go around in a circle and each will vocalize their affiliations.  If some
one else identifies, they will make a physical movement to symbolize
connection.

*Deepening the Work*

Why we are here: Shon and Ebony 10 min

What does it mean to dialogue and act across generations? Ebony (Shon
scribe) 5 min

Why is action and dialogue across generations important to strengthening our
community? Shon (Ebony scribe) 5 min

Who in your community contributed to a moment of growth and awareness in
your life? Talk about that impact?

1. Watch the youth video where they engage the same question.  10 min

2. What are some of the ideas that strike you about what you just saw? 5 min

*Story Circle*:  Talk about a time you were supported in your growth and
awareness.  20 min

1.  Go over the rules for a story circle. Shon (Ebony scribe)

2.  Creative responses to themes that emerged during the story circle. 20
min

3.  Creative report back. 15 min

*What supports dialogue and action across generations?*

1.  Large group discussion. Shon (Ebony scribe)15 min

*Break Time 10 min*

*What challenges dialogue and action across generations?*

1.  Machine Game:  Shon and Ebony  3 min

2.  In groups, participants will activate the Machine Game.  The goal is to
be a well oiled-machine.  5 min

3.  Report- what are your re-actions to the game, how did you move from
struggle to performing as a well oiled machine. 5 min

4.  Large group discussion*.  How can the Machine Game help us think about
how to move from a space of struggle to smooth dialogue and action across
generations?*

10 min  Shon (Ebony scribe)

*Case Study:* *Dialogue and Action Across Generations Can Be Done*!!  15 min

Ebony

1.  Pass out the case study

2.  Read it and break it down

3.  Pose some questions and dialogue about the case study

4.  How did this community succeed?

5.  What can we take from it and do here is Durham.

(Shon and Ebony scribe)

Large Group Discussion 15 min

*Break Time 10 min*

*Activating the Vision: Dialogue and Action Across Generations *

Large Group Discussion:  What We Want To See  15 min Ebony (Shon scribe)

Here we will go back to what we just learned from the case study we read and
how it applies to Durham.  What can we use?

*Web of Resources:* *We Already Have What and Who We Need.  Moving the
Vision!*

Shon

Each person will draw, write, create a representation of resources they can
offer the collective to move the vision forward.  10 min.

Participants place their contributions on the *Web of Resources*

Facilitators will read back to the group the resource map. 5 min

*How Can We be Accountable to Each Other?* 15 min Ebony

*Large Group Discussion*:  What do you need to be secure in doing this work?
How will we check in with each other?  How will we support each other? How
can the people in this room be accountable to being the keepers of the
vision we will activate?

*Bench Marks*

What will happen when?  15 min (Ebony and Shon)

Let's plug items and actions into a huge calendar

Evaluations 10 min

Conclusion

--
Ebony N. Golden, MFA, MA