[rollei_list] very nice new scanner

  • From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:16:28 -0400

Hello fellow Rollaids -

A few days ago I asked for scanner recommendations. I received many and appreciate them all. I asked specifically about the Epson 4990 flatbed with film holders for 35mm 6x6 and 4x5. Nice things were said about it so I ordered one directly from Epson. It arrived yesterday and I scanned a few frames last night.

I am extremely pleased with its performance. Here are a few samples straight out of the scanner with no manipulation (I must play with the included SilverFast software). The first two black and white shots are of office colleagues. These are destined for our annual report, which I produce (groan). I took them with my trusty old Rolleiflex SL66 using TMAX 400 drowned in Rodinal (hence the gritty grain) hand held at 1/30 wide open (2.8). These files have been compressed for web use, so are inferior to the originals, of course.

www.aerialacts.com/Peter_H.jpg

The same shot in larger format for a bit more detail

www.aerialacts.com/Peter_portrait.jpg

Another colleague:

www.aerialacts.com/Doug_G.jpg

Here's an outdoor shot 1/250 f11. It's a marker in front of my great-great-great-great grandfather's gravestone here in Washington. It's a deadly boring shot but demonstrates the tonal range of the scanner nicely, I think.

www.aerialacts.com/marker.jpg

Finally, a color frame taken with my Rolleiflex 2.8E Xenotar on Portra 160 (I forget which flavor). That's natural light with uncorrected incandescent adding some warmth. It's a sitting room in an Exeter, New Hampshire bed and breakfast. Nice place done in a sort of neo-Colonial theme, more or less.

www.aerialacts.com/Exeter_inn.jpg

All in all, for a scanner that costs only $450.00, I think the Epson 4990 is a good deal -- and I can still scan flatwork.

All the best,

Craig Roberts
Washington, DC

--- Rollei List