[rollei_list] Re: [rolleiusers] Tri-X developer

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:42:42 -0400

> On May 23, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Thor Legvold wrote:
>
>> Aaron, what's the difference between 400TX and Tri-X?
>
> Aargh, I meant that I prefer TMY 400, or whatever code name Kodak is
> using for it nowadays. You know, the 400-speed T-max tabular grain
> film. Sorry for the confusion.
>
> -Aaron

My first experiences of Xtol was with Tri X.
1:2. A whole brick I shot in May 1999 the entire Lewis and Clark route I
shot with my new for me Leicas. About a 20 roll brick.

But I quickly got into 1:3 and tab grain films and betwixt the two of them I
came out better by 100%.
Xtol really brings out the sharpness of tri X but for me I begged for an
experience with the tab grain films. And that worked out just as I intuited.

At 1:3 with tab grain 400 films you show somebody your print and have them
guess what film you shot and they'll guess 100 every time.
So in effect you've moved up a notch.

I ended up doing most of my street work in the early 2000's with Neopan
1600.
Which looked better than Tri X in D67 1:1 or 1:2 or any other developer I'd
use with it including Beutlers or Rodinal. In the previous decades.
Or Rabinol. My home brew.

Mark William Rabiner